Virtual Mentorship Session with Best Buy's General Counsel & Chief Risk Officer
Virtual event on Zoom
Please join Todd Hartman, General Counsel & Chief Risk Officer at Best Buy, for an intimate roundtable discussion.
Our digital community will have the opportunity to partake in an intimate and candid discussion with a Q&A session.
For questions about the event: please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
*YJP has a non-solicitation policy covering all of our conferences and events. In order to provide a distraction-free environment for our mentors, sponsors, attendees, and employees, we do not allow solicitation at our events by attendees or unauthorized parties without the express written permission or consent from YJP. The Corporation As A Citizen.” We will discuss the intersections of business, policy, public affairs and law that confront multinational public corporations and, in particular, focus on the obligations corporations owe to a broad array of stakeholders (e.g., investors, employees,, public and private sector creditors, communities, governments, activists and suppliers).
Todd Hartman is general counsel and chief risk officer for Best Buy Co. Inc. In this role, he is responsible for the company’s legal activities and its global risk and compliance program. He also serves as corporate secretary.
Todd joined Best Buy in 2006. He most recently served as chief risk and compliance officer, overseeing enterprise data security, customer data privacy, enterprise risk management, global security, business continuity/disaster recovery, internal investigations, crisis response
management and compliance and ethics. He continues to lead those functions in his current role.
Todd previously was Best Buy’s deputy general counsel from 2011 to 2017. Before that, he served as the company’s chief compliance officer and vice president of strategic alliances.
Prior to joining Best Buy, Todd was a partner at Minneapolis law firm Robins Kaplan. A Minnesota native, he worked for several years as a telecommunications and technology attorney in Washington, D.C., before returning to Minneapolis.
Todd received his law degree from Harvard Law School and a bachelor’s degree in communications from Northwestern University.
John helps clients achieve their business goals through corporate transaction, such as mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and strategic investments in other entities. John also assists clients in venture capital financings, provides general corporate counseling, and drafts
and negotiates general commercial contracts.
• Acquisition of a remote patient-monitoring and care company by Best Buy.
• Sale of the assets of Aevenia, Inc., an energy and electrical construction company, to Primoris Services Corporation.
• Purchase by The Mosaic Company of Archer Daniels Midland Co's fertilizer distribution business in Brazil and Paraguay for $350 million.
• Sale of MediaBeacon, a leader in Digital Asset Management (DAM) software solutions, to DHR Esko BVBA, located in Gent, Belgium.
• Equity Investment by Canon USA in Spartan Bioscience Inc., a leader in on-demand DNA testing.
• Sale of Mosaic Argentina’s assets to Bunge Argentina.
• Purchase of Amber Pharmacy by Hy-Vee, Inc.
• Sale of MindShift Technologies, a cloud and managed services company, by Best Buy.
• Purchase by The Mosaic Company of CF Industries’ phosphate mining and manufacturing operations for $1.4 billion.
• Sale of Napster, a digital music service provider, by Best Buy to Rhapsody.
• Sale of Atritech, Inc. to Boston Scientific Corporation.
• Purchase of A-Life Medical, Inc. by Ingenix, Inc.
• Purchase by Apogee Enterprises, Inc. of Glassec, a Brazilian glass manufacturer.
• Negotiation of mining joint venture between Vale S.A., Mitsui & Co., Ltd., and The Mosaic Company.
• Purchase by St. Jude Medical of certain assets of MitralSolutions.
• Negotiation of Master Services Agreements between The Mosaic Company and Hatch Ltd.
• Sale of Mosaic International (Thailand) Limited to ICP Fertilizer Co., Ltd.
• Acquisition by Oxford Health Plans LLC of certain subsidiaries of Health Net of the Northeast, Inc
• Listed in Best Lawyers in America©, 2021-2022
• Named one of “America’s Leading Business Lawyers” by Chambers USA (Corporate/M&A), 2011-2021
• Named to BTI Client Service All-Star Attorneys, 2016
• MSBA North Star Lawyer, 2015-2016 and 2018
• Listed as a "Rising Star" by Minnesota Super Lawyers, 2008-2009
• IFLR1000 Highly Regarded – State, 2019-2021 Education
• William Mitchell College of Law (J.D., 2003), summa cum laude
• Osgoode Hall Law School, Toronto, Canada (LL.B., 1997)
• McMaster University (MBA, 1993)
• University of Toronto (B.Sc., 1990)
• Board of Directors of Global Minnesota (formerly the Minnesota International Center)
• Pro Bono Counsel to Rebuilding Together, Twin Cities